Many iPhone or iPad jailbreakers or modders often have to install unsigned IPSW to either access deprecated features or implement a jailbreak tweak that isn’t available in the latest signed firmware file. The unsigned IPSW can also be a custom modified file with extra features you wouldn’t get in the official firmware build.
Here is how to install or restore to a custom or unsigned IPSW in iPhone 7, 8, X and iPhone 11 with or without using iTunes.
Installing any IPSW Without Using iTunes
If you don’t want to use iTunes or iTunes fails to install your preferred IPSW, you will have to use third-party software to get the job done. Here are your top options:
- Tenorshare ReiBoot
Installing an Unsigned iOS Version Using Tenoshare ReiBoot
You will have to install the latest version of Tenorshare ReiBoot on Windows or macOS first. The app lets you upgrade or downgrade iOS as you please regardless of whether it is signed or unsigned.
- Launch Tenorshare ReiBoot Pro and connect your iPhone to the computer
- Select the Fix All iOS Stuck section
- Click Browse Button and select your IPSW file. Click download to import the package
- Once the IPSW package is fully downloaded, you can either use the app to repair, update or downgrade your iOS regardless of whether it is signed or not.
The only catch is you will have to get the pro version of the app to install the unsigned IPSW.
Installing a Custom IPSW Using iTunes (Signed)
This is the easiest and most popular way to install your custom IPSW. It will work if you already have the file downloaded or got it from a friend. The catch is the IPSW must be signed despite the fact that it is customized.
- Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC and connect the iPhone or iPad to your computer via a USB cable
- Simultaneously hold the Home and Sleep buttons on your phone for around 10 seconds then release Sleep and keep holding the Home button until you see a message on your computer saying it has detected a device in recovery mode
- Click OK on the message to launch the iPhone restore page
- Hold down the Shift (Alt Option for Mac) and click on the restore button
- Browse to where the IPSW you want to install is located, select and open it
Wait until the firmware is fully installed. Your iPhone will reboot automatically once it is done.